Certification & Mentoring Programme
Why certification?The Bodywisdom Certification Programme is designed around the needs of each indvidual student helping you to develop your studies in Thailand to become a recognised professional practitioner in the UK and with the Thai Healing Alliance (THAI).
The certification programme prepares students for the professional practice of Thai massage which is assessed by a practical and theory exam, case studies and a personal written piece.
In order to complete the assessed part of the course, which leads to the professional Diploma, students should already hold or be enrolled on a recognised level 3 diploma or equivalent in Anatomy & Physiology (A&P).
What does the certification programme involve?In order to join the certification programme you need to have completed the beginner's training with the Sunshine Network or other approved school or teacher. If you are unsure about the status of your school/ teacher, please contact us before completing the registration form.
We then ask students to give a full-body Thai Massage ( either observed or direct to the tutor). Following this we will advise students what further study is required; this could be focusing on a practical aspect of the techniques, bodyposture, working with clients etc., whatever area that we agree needs more attention. The minimum is 2 days supervised practice time and/or one to one study. This can be arranged privately or you can join existing sessions depending on the time of year and what classes are available.
Study can be arranged with Nicola at her workspace in Somerset ( BA11 4NR) or with Fiona in Copenhagen. You may be asked to bring a model with you, or for a small fee models may be provided by prior arrangement.
Mentoring sessions for all Bodywisdom students is £30/hour or £150/ full day (6hours)
Examination Fee: £100
Pre-requistes for sitting the examination:In order to sit the exam you:
- Have completed 30 case studies over a minimum period of 6 months which involves the recording of 30 x 2 hour massages. Guidelines will be provided.
- Are enrolled on or have completed a level 3 Anatomy and Physiology Examination.
- Have written a short written project of about 1000 words documenting your personal journey, relevant interest with Thai Massage practice. ie: parallels with yoga teaching/ how you came to thai massage/ working with specific client groups. Please feel free to discuss this with us.
- Have received a minimum of 2 full-body Thai Massages from recommended practitioners (a list in your area can be provided)
- Have completed at least 6 sessions of yoga/ tai chi/ qi gong/ 5 rhythms movement classes during your period of study. Please provide a record of this.
Examination:Morning: Practical – involves an observed 2 hour massage with feedback. It is your responsibility to provide your own model (unless you arrange otherwise with us prior to exam)
Afternoon: Written (2 hours) – showing a knowledge of the history, philosophy and basic theory of Thai Massage. The paper is based on Asokananda's The Art of Traditional Thai Massage and Nicky Smith's Thai Massage.